"Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says...."Oh crap! She's up!" Unknown

Monday, December 19, 2016

Miscellaneous Monday

Lately I seem to be getting some little things done...
things that have been hanging around,
waiting for me to get finished.

Back in the spring I made a quilt for a 
dear church friend from some of her husband's shirts.
The pattern called for snowball blocks
and, like any good quilter,
I saved the triangles cut from the corners.

Well...
I found those recently and could not just throw them away.


These little ornaments are packaged and ready to give to my friend.
They aren't anything fancy,
but are a remembrance of the wonderful man she lost suddenly.


Each year my oldest daughter and I make ornaments for her to give
to the VCU staff and fans we have gotten to know through their basketball program.
It's a bit of a challenge to come up with something she can help with
each year. Her fine motor skills are a bit delayed with her Down Syndrome.

This years ornaments were a lot of fun to make and are so cute!


These are basketball ornaments (and one baseball ornament)
with baby socks glued to the tops for a hat
and googly eyes glued in place.
We wrapped yellow yarn around the top of the hat to get the 
school colors in... black and gold.
These will be delivered this week.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The fourth clue for En Provence was released on Friday.
We are to make 80 Triangles in a square
with the neutral and dark purples.


Done!

Here are all of four of my clues.
So far, so good with keeping up with the clues.
Hopefully this will continue.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One last post of Christmas decorations...

Years ago I found this Advent tower on line.
I had never seen anything like it before
and haven't seen anything like it since getting this one.


I put the wreath and ornaments around the base of the tower.
It uses ball shaped candles,
which are a challenge to find.
What did we do before the internet?
My grandmother crocheted the little angels many years ago.
It's hard to believe we are already through the fourth Sunday in Advent.




This Nativity is my daughters.
She saw this one years ago and loved it.
What's not to love?
Do you see the quilted robes of the Magi and the Little Drummer Boy?

I bought this little Nativity in Columbia
last year when my husband and I went on the Panama Canal Cruise
for our 30th anniversary.
What a wonderful remembrance.



Hopefully once some of these little things are done,
and life is a bit calmer,
I'll get something more creative going on my Design Wall.
In the meantime, visit Patchwork Times to see
what others are creating.

Happy Quilting!

16 comments:

Libby in TN said...

You (and daughter) have been very productive. The ornaments from leftover triangles are so sweet and the BB guys/gals are just too cute! Hope you have a beautiful Christmas.

Churn Dash said...

The basketball ornaments are so cute.

The triangle ornaments are such a wonderful idea, I'm sure she will be thrilled.

Helen

Anonymous said...

How thoughtful to make ornaments for your friend! I can only imagine how thrilled she will be! And the basketball ornaments are adorable too! Merry Christmas!

Sara said...

The ornaments are adorable! I so enjoy seeing the Christmas décor of others. Your nativity scenes are lovely. This year I pulled out a large nativity that had been in storage since we moved into this house, almost 11 years ago. I need to take a picture and post it this week.

Teresa in Music City said...

What a great way to use up those precious scraps!!! Your friend will be so touched, and those ornaments will bless her for many years to come. It's nice that you have a tradition of making ornaments with your daughter - more memory making! I giggled at that lone little baseball ornament :*). You've done a great job keeping up with the mystery quilt. I'm caught up too, which I believe may be a first for me!

Bobbi said...

Everything you're doing looks wonderful! I love the idea of using the scraps from shirts to make ornaments. Then everyone in the family can get something from the shirts that hold so many memories.

Needled Mom said...

I love the little ornaments you two made. That's such a cute idea. The leftover HSTs are fabulous too. They would make great sachets too.

I cannot believe that we are in the 4th week of Advent either. The season has gone as quickly as the rest of the year.

straythreads said...

You have been so productive!!!! So many cute projects and I have thoroughly enjoyed the Christmas tour of your home the past couple posts. I think you have more Santas than I do.
have a great week
ann

englishquilter said...

I love those remembrance ornaments!

Julie said...

Love the leftover shirt ornaments, what a great idea! The basketball ornaments are adorable. I would have to pick the baseball one though, softball was my sport in school! Great job on keeping up with the clues and the Jim Shore nativity is one I have admired forever! This was done wonders for my Christmas spirit, thank you!

Deb said...

Love all the ornaments! Yes, it does feel good to stay caught up....for now!

Karen said...

Oh my goodness! I had tears welling up while reading about your friend. I will keep her in my prayers.
How nice of you to make the ornaments and involve your friend. I'm sure they are well received.
Merry Christmas and happy sewing!

Jo said...

How did you make the basketball ornaments. They are cute. Well done on Clue 4

Vicki in MN said...

You just gave me a trip down memory lane with those ornaments. I used to make something similar, for the craft show, using white satin balls and fleece for the snowman hat.
Love seeing your Christmas decor. I know your friend will treasure those ornaments for all time.

Lara B. said...

The basketball ornaments are funny and cute! You two did a great job.
Your friend will appreciate the ornaments made with the scraps from her quilt. It's a hard time of year when you've lost a loved one.
Merry Christmas to you and your family Ramona!

Kate said...

Very fun ornaments. Your holiday decorations are very festive. I really like the Advent candles, very different. Congrats for being all caught up on En Provence and ready for Clue 5.