"Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says...."Oh crap! She's up!" Unknown

Thursday, December 29, 2016

Birds and Socks

This week has been pretty free of obligations,
so it's been quiet and slow.
The night before last I needed to just cut and sew something.
I had pulled out a pile of fabrics I had used to make this quilt
so I could fold them and put them away.

Instead of folding, I started cutting and sewing.


I had some 2 1/2" strips cut already, so sewed up both sides of a pair of strips
and used one of my triangle rulers to cut them into HST's.
 



When using this method, there are a couple of threads to pop
at the top of the triangle once the sides are cut.
They come apart very easily.

 

Open up the triangle, press
and you have a half square triangle.
 
 

I played around with a design with the HST's and
decided to make pinwheels.
 
 

In my stash I found this piece of toile with birds.
 

The blocks are all pieced and waiting for borders.
I'm thinking of just a plain outer border, but will leave
it hanging on my design wall for a bit to see
what else might come to mind.

It felt so good to just sew and sew yesterday.
 


I've had some knitting time during the last couple of weeks
and finished two pair of socks.


These were made with Socks that Rock yarn
and were given to a friend.

 

My sister brought this sock yarn back from Massachussetts for me.
It is so soft!
These will be for me!

Happy Quilting!
(and knitting!)

8 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love your socks both of them and strips are pretty neat to use aren't they with those handy rulers!

Needled Mom said...

That's a great way to make HSTs. The top looks so pretty with the pinwheels.

I LOVE the socks - especially the last pair for you.

straythreads said...

I'm using the same fabric you cut the triangle from in my current quilt.
love the socks

Dar said...

Those are some great looking socks. I love bright stripey yarns. Your clean up quilting project turned into a beautiful simple quilt. Isn't it fun to make something impromptu and it turn out so cute. Good going.

Vicki in MN said...

I love that pinwheel with the strips! I agree it felt really good to just sew sew sew, and quilt, quilt, quilt these last few days. Really getting lots done. Beautiful socks;)

Julie said...

Awesome red quilt, what fun! Great socks too. I haven't made any progress on mine, I knitted on something else on our last trip! I never did get around to taking pics of my Christmas quilts, but next year I will take pics of all my quilts and their surrounding decorations.

maggie fellow said...

such a lovely quilt and out of leftovers:)

Quilting Nonnie said...

What a terrific quilt! I can't imagine just making some HSTs and arranging them around and getting a great quilt like that. You are talented!