"Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says...."Oh crap! She's up!" Unknown

Monday, January 1, 2024

A New Year

 The year 2023 came to and end and it's difficult to believe.
Looking back, the year is just a blur.
I didn't do an end of year blog post this year,
but I am happy with what I was able to accomplish.

For the first time ever, I kept track of the books
I read and listened to in 2023.
The vast majority of these books were audio books...
my new found love.
I can multi-task!  Listening to a book while
sewing, driving, cooking, walking, etc.
is awesome!
 
 
 
I didn't start using Goodreads until I was into the year,
so I actually read 102 books in 2023!
My favorites were "Demon Copperhead" and "The Rose Code". 


I ended 2023 with making some special garments for my
grandchildren.  They are being baptized this coming Sunday
and my daughter asked if I would make them their outfits for the big day.




This is my daughter's wedding gown, 
fresh out of the storage box.
I took it apart and made a dress for Olivia.


 
 
This dress is a combination of two patterns and a little of my own creation.
 I was thrilled to be able to use part of the zipper and buttons from the wedding gown.



 
 
(I'm terrible at tying bows!)
 
 

 
 
For Miles, I made a little Johnny
and smocked crosses for it.
The most difficult part of making this was putting
the snaps on it! 
I bought a light blue shirt to go under this for him.


*************

As I had a few minutes here and there,
I have been making Drunkard Path blocks
from a bundle of fabrics I've had for years.



 
 
This morning I was able to finish sewing the top together.
 
 

 
 
My first flimsy of 2024!
 
 
May 2024 bring you many blessings
and lots of time for creating!
 
Happy Quilting!


5 comments:

straythreads said...

What a great idea to use the wedding dress for christening gowns! Beautiful! Love the quilt. I have read the rose code but not the Demon Copperhead. I’ll have to add it to my list.
Happy New Year to you

Libby in TN said...

Great start to the new year! I still have the little onesie my boys were baptised in.

Vicki W said...

I also enjoyed The Rose Code. I have Demon Copperhead on hold at the library. The Baptismal outfits were the perfect use of the wedding dress!

Sharon Kwilter said...

I love how you reused the wedding dress. I keep wanting to come up with something to do with mine, but I've not been able to come up with anything appropriate. I don't have kids.

Thanks for suggesting those books. I am also an audio book junkie. I love our library.

kupton52 said...

How sweet to use the wedding dress for christening outfits....they'll be cherished family heirlooms. I just started using Goodreads and will check out those 2 particular books. A cousin of mine turned me on to Audible which I really like. I look forward to seeing your upcoming projects. You're so talented! Blessings....