"Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says...."Oh crap! She's up!" Unknown

Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Not a Race Fan

This past Saturday, we had a discussion about the
Jelly Roll Race quilt at my quilt group meeting.
I have never been a huge fan of the quilt,
but didn't really know anything about it.

After this discussion I decided to give it a try.
I had been given a jelly roll that I wasn't wild about
and decided to use this one for the Race Quilt.
This was probably not the best idea....
make a quilt I'm not wild about out of fabric I'm not wild about, but..
The sewing began.



This is just dull and boring to me...
no assemblance of anything.  


It did go together quickly.
I'll add borders to it, quilt it and then donate it.

 

My husband walked into my Hidey Hole,
looked at this quilt on my design wall
and turned around and walked out. 

Enough said.

Happy Quilting!

6 comments:

Podunk Pretties said...

I agree with you about everything in this post. Yukky! I've only seen one or two of these quilts that I thought looked halfway decent and they had added applique. However I will say that I believe this to be a good pattern for a beginner quilter that needs to learn the very important quarter inch rule and some basic cutting skills. Kudo's to you for finishing the top and donating it. It's a win in the end. I'm trying to be positive, is it working?

Needled Mom said...

I think the jelly roll race quilts are greatly improved with the addition of small charms between the strips. I put a small four patch between mine when I made it and it brought a boring design to life.

Libby in TN said...

I'm with you, Ramona. "Real" Jelly Rolls are too expensive to use in a crappy quilt. The quilts I have liked the best have a constant contrasting square separating the strips which adds a little "eye candy." I agree with Podunk Pretties that it is a good beginner project.

PS: I would have gladly taken that jelly roll off your hands ;-)

straythreads said...

I keep slapping my hands when it comes to jelly rolls both kinds and that pattern makes it easy to resist buying jelly rolls defiantly a beginner quilt with instant gratification for getting it done.

canuckquilter said...

I helped my daughter make one with a jelly roll of her choice (not even close to my choice!). We added white squares between strips, as others have suggested. As Podunk Pretties said it's a good beginner quilt. Not very exciting to look at, but my daughter was thrilled with hers. I don't think I'll be making any though. Yours will make a lovely donation quilt for someone.

Teresa in Music City said...

I've never cared for the Race quilts either, although I've seen a few where the quilter got pretty creative and brought them up a notch. I've never been a fan of jelly rolls in general either. Hate sewing with them!
I had to laugh at your husband's reaction - my husband has done that a time or two in my studio too LOL!!!!