"Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says...."Oh crap! She's up!" Unknown

Friday, February 19, 2016

In Memory of Dave...

A while ago I blogged about a dear friend at church dying
and how I offered to make a quilt for his wonderful widow,
also a dear friend, from some of his shirts.

Well....
it is finished!
I had had the shirts for quite some time,
but between shoulder issues,
other time commitments, etc.
it has taken a while to get this finished.

I can't wait to give this to my friend.



My friend gave me 8 cotton shirts and two t-shirts for this quilt.
Amazingly, the cotton shirts really worked well in this design.
The top is completely made from the 8 shirts, binding and all.
 

She also gave me this patch and asked if I could incorporate it into the quilt.
He was retired Navy and very active in our local Navy League.


The back of the quilt is made almost entirely from his shirts, too.
I had to add the blue at the top and the bottom to make it large enough.

I had something happen while making this quilt that had never happened before now.
When sewing the binding in place,
I came to the end and had made the EXACT amount needed...
I didn't trim a thread from it....
Perfect!
(Only because it was Divine intervention.)
 

Dave was one of the most faith-filled people I know
and it means so much to have this t-shirt in his quilt.
(I'll remove the threads... AGAIN....before giving it to my friend.)


This quilt was made following this pattern.


It was an honor and a privilege to know such a 
wonderful man. 
We miss him.



Happy Friday!
Happy Quilting!

8 comments:

Podunk Pretties said...

What a wonderful quilt, so many memories.

Libby in TN said...

What a lovely tribute!

Vicki in MN said...

What a wonderful thing you have done for your friend, it's gonna be the best loved quilt ever!
It came together perfectly I'd say.

Sara said...

This is fabulous - love the way those plaids came together in this pattern. You've made a treasured memory quilt for your friend.

straythreads said...

What a wonderful quilt and what an angel you are!

Julie said...

What a lovely remembrance. It's a great design and hard to believe it was shirts! Nice job.

Nancy said...

What a great quilt! You did a fabulous job matching the corners of each snowball block to the corner squares in the nine-patches. It's just perfect. I'm sure your friend will love having it.

Nancy. (ndmessier @ aol.com, joyforgrace.blogspot.com)

Churn Dash said...

What a treasure. The quilt is perfect.
Helen