"Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says...."Oh crap! She's up!" Unknown

Friday, August 9, 2019

One More Tie Item

For those who follow my blog,
you know that I was given a bunch of ties
by a dear friend who retired two years ago now.

I have made him a quilt from these ties,
a Christmas stocking for each of his grandchildren
and now I am making a pillow.
There are so many little pieces left from the ties
and I can't leave them alone.

This will be it....I think! :)

I started by cutting 3" squares from the tie scraps
and black fabric.
All of the tie pieces have interfacing on the back to
stabilize them and give some more heft.

Then I used the Missouri Star tutorial
and made a Cathedral Star pillow top.




I just love working with all of the different ties.
The silks just shine and really pop with the black panes.

 


He had quite a variety of ties, too.

 


I had one more piece of the giraffe tie and was able to 
fussy cut it so the giraffes are standing in the middle of the window.

 

The pillow will be finished and will be delivered, 
along with the stockings,
in person soon.

Here is the quilt I made and gave him in January:




The stockings.



I think I'm done playing with these ties,
but time will tell.


Happy Quilting!

7 comments:

Sara said...

Every item is stunning! I really am impressed with this Cathedral Windows piece. Wow!

Libby in TN said...

That was a bunch of ties! The pillow is my favorite because it reminds me of my mother who made two queen size CWs.

PaintedThread said...

Excellent! I love when I can use old fabric. I really like the Cathedral Windows, too.

Needled Mom said...

The pillow is beautiful too, Ramona. You have inspired me so much with these ties. I really need to venture into my tie box and create something with them. Your friend's ties will live on and on!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Having completed a tie quilt not that long ago, I have a great respect for the work you've done for your friend. Love, love, LOVE the pillow panel that you have created!!

Julie said...

The pillow is absolutely beautiful and the black really sets the ties off. Great job. That was such an amazing collection of ties. My uncle recently passed and my aunt would like me to make something out of his ties for their two daughters. I need to get together with her. She had me make wallhangings from her brother in law's ties several years ago for his two children. It was so long ago I don't even know if I have pictures!

Vicki in MN said...

You really did all those ties justice and it was a ton of them! My friend has been wanting to use her deceased husbands ties for little wall hangings for herself and boys. What interfacing did you find works well?