"Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says...."Oh crap! She's up!" Unknown

Monday, May 18, 2015

Design Deck Monday

I have had this project finished
for a couple of weeks,
but couldn't show it until today.

As I have mentioned before,
I belong to a History of Quilting group
and each session, our leader gives us
a challenge project to do, if we chose to participate.

For this session, we discussed the
"Road to Richmond,"
in coordination with the release of Barbara Brackman's
"Richmond Reds" fabric line.

Our challenge this session was to come up with
a project that signified our personal
"Road to Richmond."
It could be anything and made from any fabric.

I moved to Richmond in 1983 from upstate New York,
after graduating from Nursing School.
So....
I packed my bags and headed south.






This is Amy Butler's "Weekender Travel Bag" pattern,
made from batiks.
(I obviously did not use the Richmond Reds fabrics.)




I did things a bit differently from the pattern.
I didn't want a super stiff bag, 
so instead of using the Peltex, 
I used two layers of batting and quilted all of the pieces.




I quilted and added piping to the end pockets as well.
(The colors are actually deeper then what the photos are showing.)



And do your remember this fun Nurses fabric??



It's the pockets inside the bag!

An unexpected treat!!


This bag was definitely a challenge for me and brought back
memories of my years of garment sewing.
One thing I would do differently is line the handles.
They seem very thin and I'm afraid they won't hold up over time.

Otherwise....I LOVE my bag!

Please visit Patchwork Times  and Main Crush Monday
to see what others have created.

Happy Quilting!!

10 comments:

Nann said...

The bag is wonderful! I like the "surprise" pockets inside. Your Road to Richmond is a great tale.

Churn Dash said...

My friend Debra showed her Road to Richmond quilt at guild. I wonder if you were in the same class.
I love your bag and the story that goes with it. Were you able to take it on your trip?

Judy D in WA said...

LOVE your bag!! So fun to open it up and have such fun fabric looking back at you! I love a nice hefty handle on my bags.

Laura said...

Great job on the bag! We moved to Richmond in 1984 and are still here.

Sara said...

The bag is cute but the pockets are such a fun surprise!

Julie said...

This is a super cute bag! I love the batiks and the surprise pockets inside. I enjoyed your history behind the bag.

Cathy said...

Your bag is so cute! I think it was perfect for the challenge. Love the nurses hiding inside.

Bonnie said...

Great bag! Love the colors and the surprise pockets. So cute. Yep, lining the straps would have helped them feel a little more strong. Or, you could have used a cotton webbing which will hold up pretty well. So, how is the bag for traveling. I really want to make myself a bag like that and I'm hemming and hawing over the pattern... good instructions?

Lara B. said...

Your bag turned out so terrific Ramona! Those fabrics you used are so great and the whole thing just lifts the spirits to even look at it. Love the little nurse surprise inside too! you know, I never asked you which nursing school you went to.

Beth @ Cooking Up Quilts said...

I like how bright and happy the bag is with the fabrics you used. It looks like a fun bag to make. Those nurses are adorable on the pockets! Thanks so much for linking up to Main Crush Monday!