"Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says...."Oh crap! She's up!" Unknown

Monday, May 11, 2020

Hummingbird Wallhanging

This isolation has done wonders for my UFO piles!
This past week another pile was busted and out of the cabinet.
Back in 2013 I bought this kit from Keepsake Quilting.
(Are they still open? I haven't received a catalog from them in years!)
Anyway, the kit arrived and after I looked at it,
right into the cabinet it went.
Even with the laser cut pieces, I knew this was going to take
a long time and a lot of tedious work to make.
Boy, was I right!

My first problem was I didn't have a teflon pressing sheet.
 Out came my light box and a glue stick.
After hours of finding the right piece and removing it from the sheets,
the top was ready for quilting.




The kit was very well organized and was easy to follow.
Removing all of these little pieces of fabric from the sheet
was a challenge at times.  The pieces were so thin in spots,
I was afraid I'd tear the little points from the piece.
 And why do I never notice the thread until I'm writing the blog post??


 


The designer of the pattern did a beautiful job with this.
His eye is gorgeous.

 


The tail feathers were especially challenging to put together.
And whoever would make this pattern and trace and cut
the pieces themselves.... my hat is off to them!

 


This guy is now hanging in my kitchen and he's beautiful!
(and straight.... it's the photographer!)




I've been playing with my camera a little more.
This is the first peony from my yard, along with some
mock orange and rhododendron.
They all smelled so good!

 


My daughter brought this rose home to me.
I think it's one of most beautiful roses I've seen. 


Happy Quilting!

Be safe and Be well.

10 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the original Keepsake Quilting is no longer open - someone else has the store now I think and by another name - I did a search recently though for Keepsake Quilting and it did come up but based in South Carolina I think instead of New Hampshire - I requested a catalog and I got a digital one and it was such poor quality of photos on my laptop that I wouldn't even think of ordering anything as you couldn't see the photos clearly

Sara said...

The hummingbird is beautiful. You did a great job on all of those intricate pieces.

Libby in TN said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I marvel at your patience.

Kim said...

Your quilt is beyond amazing! Such a gorgeous finish!

Sewing Up A Storm said...

Your hummingbird looks beautiful. I bet it makes you smile every time you look at him. Isolation really bring out the creative it a lot of people and doing things we never had time for before.

Vicki in MN said...

I have noticed how good it has been for you! This is a gorgeous wall hanging, so glad you pulled it out and got it done:) I am awaiting my first Hummer sighting for this year. Did I tell you we saw a tiny Hummer nest in AZ. We even saw one of the two eggs hatch before we left, so special to witness.

Kim said...

That is amazingly beautiful! I, too, am awaiting my first sighting of a hummer this year. It's been unusually cold here in Michigan.

Preeti said...

Gorgeous Finish!!! At least somethings are getting done.
The rose is beautiful. Stay safe!!!

straythreads said...

That is beautiful well done! And your peonies sigh.....the always remind me of my mom. Love the rose too.
Beautiful

kupton52 said...

I'm a day late seeing this post...had to watch the gambitties yesterday! Your hummingbird is absolutely exquisite! You must be much warmer or lower altitude than I am...I'm just now getting buds on my peonies...I don't usually have blooms like yours until mid to late June. They are one of my favorite flowers, especially the doubles. I have one type that's a single and it's my least favorite...and of course it seems to be the one that spreads and thrives the most! lol The rose is one of the most perfect I've ever seen. You are a blessed woman! Stay well.