"Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says...."Oh crap! She's up!" Unknown

Monday, June 24, 2019

2019 Patriotic Table Topper



For the past 7 years I have been making a 
Patriotic table runner or table topper
for my mom and my siblings.
My dad was one of the most patriotic people I know
and he died in July.
It started as something by which to remember
our father and I had no intentions of making one each year.

Well, 8 years later, I am still making something
patriotic to give to my family around July 4th.





The first runner is in the upper left hand corner of this photo.
Last years are at the bottom.


I had a plan for this years table topper and started creating the 2019 version.
Very quickly I realized what I had in my head was not going to work in fabric.

Plan B was found and here is this years table topper.






My original plan was to use buttons for the stars with a blue background,
but my buttons were too small.
I would have needed a lot more than 50 to fill the space
and I couldn't do that.

 


I had the red and white stripes cut and sewn already
and needed to find a star that would work.
Finally I found this star idea and altered it to fit my needs.




While the buttons would have been fun,
this is much more functional for a table topper.
I'm not sure the little quilt could have been hung
if it had a lot of buttons sewn to one corner,
so this ended up being the better way to make this years quilt.

 


The quilting is very simple
and I love the wavy lines on the flag.

 


The date needs to be added and then these will be ready to give
to my family.

I've already started thinking about next years quilt!

Today I'm linking to Design Wall Monday.

Happy Quilting!


11 comments:

Kim said...

How I love red, white and blue all together. You have fashioned many beautiful patriotic table runners, Ramona. Seeing them all together in this post is truly a vision splendid. How wonderful to make more every year!

Judy Hansen said...

Love, love, love your tabletopper flags. I want to make some as placemats for the cabin. But my 'disciplined self' keeps saying.... I must not start a new project right now.....I must not start a new project right now....I must not....but oh, they would be so great to have in July....

Vicki in MN said...

Don't know what your other idea was, but this one fits the bill perfectly and will go fabulously with the others that you have given them.

Churn Dash said...

Great little quilts. I think you are right about the buttons not working too well as a table topper.

The wavy lines reminds me of a flag fluttering in the wind.

Helen

Denise said...

These are all gorgeous, I wouldn't be able to choose just one. I will be sharing my QOV on July 1st with my design. Reminds me of yours here.

Preeti said...

This is a sweet and oh so appropriate way to remember you dad. Sending hugs and warm wishes.

Sara said...

They are all beautiful - and I'm sure your family treasures each and every one.

Julie said...

Great little projects! I admire all your patriotic projects, what an inspiration.

straythreads said...

What a fantastic memorial to your dad. They are all great

Needled Mom said...

I love these. You can’t go wrong with RW and B.

Azka Kamil said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.