"Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says...."Oh crap! She's up!" Unknown

Thursday, February 28, 2019

Little Things

I'm waiting for some hanging wires to arrive before I can
make the binding for the
so I've been putzing.
(Once the wires arrive, I'll explain how they work...I hope!)

My History of Quilt group is discussing quilting
and life during the Depression this session.
For our quilting challenge,
we are using Lori Holt's book
"Farm Girl Vintage".





Of course,
since it's the Depression,
we are encouraged to use 30's fabrics for our blocks.

Well, I am not a fan of 30's fabrics and have very few of them.
I thought about buying some to make this quilt,
but then decided to do what the women in the 30's would have done.
Use and make due with what I have!


Last year I finished this Metro Rings quilt and have LOTS of scraps left.
 



Out came the pile and the playing began.

Here is what I've made so far!




These blocks are so much fun to put together!
I don't know if I'll make any of the animal or kitchen blocks,
but the other blocks are great.
By the end of the session,
I plan to have enough for a quilt.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I've also started my children's' sock knitting for the year.




These are the first sets of socks made that will be sent to the
Pine Ridge Indian reservation in the fall.
This past year I made 24 pair of children's socks
and hope to make at least that many this year.

Happy Quilting and Knitting!

9 comments:

Sara said...

The FGV book is one of my all time favorites. I made all of the blocks in both sizes, over a period of about 18 months with a local group I belong to. My quilt with the 6” blocks is a favorite. I still haven’t put the big blocks together yet. But the blocks were definitely fun. Most of the gals in the group didn’t use 30s fabrics either. Lots of brights were used. Your color choice is fun, fun, fun.

Rebecca Grace said...

Those blocks look great in your modern fabrics and you’re right — the 1930s quilters were using the bright, cheery MODERN fabrics available in their day. And those socks are just deliciously snuggly looking! Those children will feel the love that went into making them as they slide their little feet into the socks.

Libby in TN said...

Ditto what Rebecca said. I think you at least do the strawberry to throw some surprise color into it.

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Love the blues and grey blocks. Fabulous colorful socks.

Needled Mom said...

You’re right! They would use what they have. Good for you for doing it on those great blocks. They are beautiful AND lower the stash.

I’ve always loved your pretty socks. They go to such a great cause too.

Ellen said...

Metro Rings is gorgeous and so is the fabric you used and I love that you are using the leftover fabric in your new quilt.

I have this book but I haven't started any of the patterns at this point. You are inspiring me to get going though!

The socks you are making are fabulous and I am sure they are much appreciated.

barbara woods said...

love that book ,best quilt book I* ever bought

Kathleen said...

I saw fgv made is bright cheerful fabrics. I would not have been attracted to the book otherwise. I’ve collected fabrics and need to get started. I look forward to seeing your progress.

Julie said...

I love your color combo selection for this quilt. My granddaughter has the one I made and I made it with more modern fabrics with a 30's flavor. I am not a 30's fan either.