"Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says...."Oh crap! She's up!" Unknown

Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Awe Inspiring Scenery Part 2


Last week I posted some photos from the first part of my
family vacation to Yellowstone.

After leaving Yellowstone,
we drove east through Wyoming and stopped in
Cody and Sheridan, each for one night.

 



 While in Cody,
I visited this quilt shop I had seen
advertised in the back of a quilting magazine.

It was filled to the brim with fabrics,
notions, patterns and books.
A few things were purchased from the
very friendly staff and owner.





 



This was taped to the cash register in
the quilt shop.
I think this applies to me!





We could not get over the sizes of the rock formations
along the highways.
Doesn't the piece jutting out look like a face?



These deer stopped to say hello!
Well... all but one anyway.




Buffalo Bill formed the town of Cody, WY.
We didn't have time to visit the museum there,
but the town was quaint and had a western feel to it.

 


We were standing with the Big Horn Basin behind us,
heading up and over the mountains going east.
It was very hazy while were there and were told
it was because of the wild fires further west and north.




Once again, the landscape is totally different
and just as beautiful.

 


Gorgeous sky!




We stayed in Rapid City, SD for several Days and visited different
sights there.

This is the Crazy Horse Memorial.
 It has been in progress since 1948 and is being carved
on sacred land.


The statue in the front is a 1/30 scale of what the mountain memorial
will look like when finished.

There was an excellent museum at the sight, as well
as Native American dancing and talks.




Not far from the Crazy Horse Memorial is
Mount Rushmore.
It was impressive to see this in person.
While driving after leaving the park,
we saw the profile of George coming around a corner in the road.




 

This WONDERFUL quilt shop is in Rapid City.
Let me just say....
I could have used another couple of hours here.
There was a basement that I didn't even get to see!
The owner and staff were super friendly and so helpful.




We passed this winery on one of our travel days in SD and the name
of the wine sure caught our eyes.
In we went, had a tasting
and ordered a case!
Rhubarb wine is delicious!



The last day of our time in Rapid City was spent in the
Bad Lands National Park.
Let me just say...
I can totally understand why this area was given the name
The Bad Lands.







This land is so rugged, isolated
and fierce looking.
It was so totally different than any other land we saw
and so beautiful.

After visiting the Bad lands,
we drove to the sight of the Massacre of Wounded Knee.



This memorial is on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation.
While there, we spoke with several Native Americans
who were there making and selling their crafted goods.




The Memorial is a sacred place.
Smudge pots of sage were burning to keep
evil spirits away.




On our way back to Rapid City,
we passed through a deserted "western town".
The buildings were all abandoned
and in various stages of disrepair.



I could hear the wagons and horses passing in my mind. :)



This sunset ended our trip perfectly.

7 comments:

Libby in TN said...

Thanks for the memories! Our family made two 3-week trips out west in the summers of 1953 and '54, hitting many of the same spots. I still remember the blueberry pancakes we had in Rapid City. And all the silly puns my brothers came up with at every stop. My mother kept a diary and the most we spent for overnight accommodations for a family of 5 was $25. Times have sure changed!

Needled Mom said...

You have captured the area so perfectly in your photos. The scenery is so awe inspiring. imagine the dramatic change that a good blizzard would bring! Howling winds, drifting snow and blowing tumbleweeds would make for a difficult life.


Aren't the sculptures amazing? Their size alone is breathtaking. The carvings are something everyone needs to see at least once.


The West had a lot of smoke this year. I had heard that it extended all across the country at one point.


Love that cartoon. It sounds like me too. Looks like you got some nice retail therapy in on your trip. Great memories were made and I like the picture of the three of you.

Unknown said...

Fabulous pictures of your vacation. I am so jealous and would love to visit there myself. Maybe in the future? Such wonderful panoramic views and scenery so different from the Midwest. And your trips to the quilt shops are what I like to do along any route I travel. It is so fun to see what other stores feature and carry. But the best part are your sunset pictures !!! Just love them.

Sara said...

Looks like it was a wonderful vacation. You visited some of my favorite Black Hills/Rapid City destinations. We live 3 hours east on I-90, but travel often to Rapid City to visit friends and family. One of our daughters used to live there. I never get tired of going up to Mt Rushmore even though I've probably been there 50 times over the years. And the Quilt Connection is one of the 3 Rapid City shops that I love to stop in. My sister-in-law even used to work there.

Julie said...

Beautiful photos of your trip! It was fun to see the scenery, some of it I had seen and some I had not! I love rhubarb wine! What fun to see those quilt shops too. Thanks for sharing!

Katy Sweigart said...

Such beautiful photos! Now I want to visit. I’m glad you had a great trip.

straythreads said...

Fun to see my state though someone else’s eyes I’m glad you had a good trip