"Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says...."Oh crap! She's up!" Unknown

Monday, May 1, 2017

Hand Work and Dresdens

Happy May Day!

Hopefully the month of May will be as successful in the
finishing department as April was for me.
I was able to finish a number of projects that had been sitting in piles
on my counter for way too long.

One pile I pulled out of my cabinet was this applique project I started
long ago.
I only needed to make two more blocks,
but it ended up in the cabinet instead.

This past week I was able to finish one block,
so only one more block needs to be made.


This pattern has 12 blocks, but I am only making nine.

The last block is prepped and ready to stitch.
Once the last block is finished,
I will decide on sashing fabric
and put it all together.


A while back my mother went on a trip and brought me back
a pattern and a roll of 30's prints to make a mini quilt.
My mom and I have different tastes in most things,
including quilts.
I'm not a huge fan of 30's prints,
but it's been fun working with these on this little quilt.




The Dresdens are finished, except for the circle in the middle.


 The 30's prints do make a happy pile of blocks.



These will be stitched to a white square and then sewn
together with sashing made from the 30's prints.


Happy Quilting!

11 comments:

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Ramona,
I am not a huge fan of 30s prints either . . . but your Dresdens look so nice and cute. I love your nine blocks, too - especially the background fabric. I look forward to seeing how you finish those off - both projects! ~smile~
Roseanne

Robin said...

The fabrics you chose for your applique blocks are just perfect. I love the bright clear colors. I am a fan of 30's and your little dresdens are so cute. Every time I make a quilt out of 30's fabrics - I give it away. One of these days I'll keep one for me.

Julie said...

I am not a huge 30's fan either, but yours are on the bright side and I do love dresdens! Very nice! I have made some 30's quilts as my oldest daughter really likes them. Your applique blocks are beautiful.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Both projects are just wonderful.

kupton52 said...

Absolutely adorable. I love 30's prints and use them quite often. I guess it's an acquired taste. Sometimes it's takes a while for me to appreciate certain fabrics---I'm still not a fan of modern prints---maybe I'll get there someday. I did a set of mini dresdens in the similar prints a few years ago. I put red in my centers and wish I had done a solid 30's fabric. The appliqued blocks are just beautiful. I know I'm repeating myself---but some things bear repeating. I'm so glad you had fun on the longarm. Using flimsies as practice pieces is a great way to advance quickly. I think subconsciously we try harder on a finished top than just a blank fabric canvas. Hope your entire month is productive. We have strong winds here today. I'm ready to batten down the hatches and hold on tightly to the sewing machine. Blessings....

Vicki in MN said...

I think it will look great when you are done. Perhaps a solid for sashing? I love 30's prints-I have the more pastel versions.

Jayne said...

Gorgeous...both projects! I have been wanting to make dresdens for so long...yours are super cute and inspiring!

Podunk Pretties said...

Well I'm a big fan of both of your projects.

Rebecca Grace said...

Yes, I love your cheery Dresden plates AND your applique blocks. How could you have gotten so close and then stopped before finishing?!! (Asks the girl who has an entire quilt's worth of finished applique blocks in her cabinet that only need to be set into a quilt top!)

Apple Avenue Quilts said...

I love your appliqué blocks. You've chosen lovely fabrics. When I first saw 30's fabric, I truly disliked it. Then I started to work with it and it began to grow on me. Now I love it, it's just do cheerful. Great job on all those Dresden's!

Suze said...

I like some 30's prints. I think it's because I'm a child of the early 50's and grew up on a farm where I truly had clothes made from feed sacks. My mother would trade feed sacks with other farm wives so each would have enough fabric to make a garment. It's wasn't as difficult for her to get fabric for a little girl as I was one of the few little farm girls in the neighborhood. For 4 years I was the only girl in my class in the one room school house.

My mother make me a Grandmother Flower Garden Quilt which was stolen before I ever used it. In her fabrics that I brought home I found some she had made - poorly. They were not up to her standards at all - she had to have been getting very sick. She had quilted that king size quilt. I wish I had some more 30's prints to put in among my other fabrics. My favorite quilt shop recently closed.

I can tell you and your mother's tastes are different. Though different, they each have a place in the quilt world. You are great to be honoring your mother to make the quilt for her. You are earning a jewel in your heavenly crown.