"Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says...."Oh crap! She's up!" Unknown

Friday, June 30, 2023

Three Dudes Quilt

 My mom and I had very different tastes in a lot of things
and especially quilting.
 
I'd make one of my Kaffe quilts or bright batik quilts
and she would say
"That's really nice, but please don't make me one like that."
Then we'd laugh and tease each other about our differences.
 
 

 
 
I started making this Three Dudes quilt and she saw it
when she was at my house one day.
She asked if I had anyone in mind for this quilt.
When I said no, she said she would like to have it.
Mom was moving into a new apartment and was getting
some new furniture. She thought this quilt would look nice
with her new furniture.
I told her I'd be happy to give it to her for her new home.
 
Mom moved into her new apartment and three weeks later she died.
 
The quilt sat unfinished. 
I'd move it from spot to spot,
telling myself I needed to finish it,
but did not have the motivation.
 
Finally, a few weeks ago I said it was time.
I sent it to Jennifer at Peaceful Hill Quilting and she quilted
a simple hexagon pattern into the quilt.
 
 

 
 
The quilt is now finished.
I won't keep it, but will find a new home for this one.
I love the design and the colors,
but it isn't mine.
 
 
 
 
My mom died in October, 2021
and I miss her every day.
 


 
 
 

4 comments:

Vicki in MN said...

I am so sorry you lost your mom, but how wonderful that she asked for that quilt, it is really pretty.

Debbie said...

It is a different colorway than your usual projects. I bought that Three Dudes pattern, so fun to see your version. I relate to your construction process steeped in memories of your mom. I designed a patriotic quilt that I planned to give to my father and he died while I was piecing it. I did finish it. He use to visit us in the summer so I find myself thinking of him a lot around the 4th of July. His birthday was July 6th.

Sewgirl said...

Such a sweet story. I am so sorry your mom passed. My mom too died in Oct 2021 and I miss her every day too. I am sure you will find a good home for her quilt. It turned out lovely and I'm sure she approves.

Libby in TN said...

Wiping the tears as I write this. That one is not exactly your color palette! Glad you finally had the courage to finish it.