"Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says...."Oh crap! She's up!" Unknown

Monday, September 2, 2019

Boxy Tote

My friend Dottie loves to make bags.
She finds the neatest patterns and creates beautiful bags.
Her latest bag uses the Boxy Tote pattern and I
decided to make one with her.

The cutting and preparation takes quite a while.
Plus, there are things used in this pattern
that aren't the easiest to find.

Once the pieces were cut and the fusing was done,
I headed over to her house and the fun began.




The pattern designer has written the directions in a 
super organized way.
She has tabs to pin to each piece of fabric with the measurements and the
order number from the directions.
Once the piece or pieces are cut,
you pin this tab to the fabric and it keeps things organized.




This tote is large enough to carry a Featherweight in it!




There are pockets on the inside and outside of the bag.
There are also stays around the top of the bag that hold it open
and in place so it's easy to fill.



After my friend, Mary, made one, she found this label for all of us!
Only a few swears words were used in the construction of my bag.
:D



Dottie and I made the straps differently than the pattern suggests
and came up with a very sturdy, but cushy strap.



The zipper tab is filled with glue!
It hasn't quite dried yet, so looks wet in the photo.




The only thing I have left to do is get the hard piece for the bottom of the bag.
I'll cover that  and pop it it and it will be ready for use.



When I started this bag,
I thought it would be a one and done project.
I think I see another one of these in my future, though!

Thanks, Dottie!
It was a blast making this with you.

I'm linking to Design Wall Monday and Monday Making today.

Happy quilting!

13 comments:

Sara said...

I love that label - so funny! The bag is great. I struggle with bag making and have often been very disappointed in my finished product. Except for one particular pattern.

Yvonne said...

What a gorgeous bag! And that label! So perfect (I think all my quilts include a few off colour words...).

I hope you enjoy using it.

Kathy S. said...

What a fun, usable tote! Love the colors and the shape.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Beautiful bag! Could be a good one for carying a sewing machine ;)

AnnieO said...

Excellent work on this gorgeous bag. Glad the designer made the organizing easy. I really want some of those labels!

Julie said...

I really enjoyed your explanation of the process of this bag. It turned out wonderfully and what fun to sew it with a friend. I love the label! The fabrics are fabulous.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh now that is cool!!!

Fabric Fanatic said...

I love all the things already mentioned, but one thing hasn't been mentioned, so let me.
That strip of fabric that the zipper is set into is GENIUS! It kinda looks like a zipper, so you don't have to look far to figure out how to open it. Great Job making it, too.

Libby in TN said...

I have a friend who made one for her featherweight and she loves it!

Vicki in MN said...

Oh my this is tempting if a FW fits inside! Thanks for explaining a bit of how it is made. It is so pretty with those fabrics.

Debbie said...

Impressive! I have not tackled a bag and have watched all the tedious steps others have taken to make one. So kudos to you! But I love the colors of yours! Enjoy!

Debbie said...

Love it! I have made one bag and it was in a class setting. I think that is the only way to make them because experience from another surely helps the process. Your bag is so pretty!

Preeti said...

That is the most fabulous hand-made bag I have ever seen. Kudos to you. Why is the zipper tab filled with glue? Love the fabrics. Is it Kaffe Fassett? Sure looks like his work.