"Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says...."Oh crap! She's up!" Unknown

Thursday, July 18, 2019

Monster Log Cabin Quilt

A year ago this month I started making the blocks
for a log cabin quilt for my sister.
I had decided to destash my reproduction fabrics
because they just aren't my thing and I had a lot of them!
I began cutting them into 1 1/2" strips to make this quilt.

The blocks were made and the top was pieced
and then it sat....
and sat and sat.

Finally, in May I sent it off to be quilted.
I had considered quilting it myself on my sewing machine
and then reality set in, thank goodness!

If I had tried to quilt this monster quilt myself,
I would have ended up bald, with two bad shoulders,
having to repent for language used
and with a smashed up sewing machine.

Instead, I have this....




This quilt is HUGE!!!
It's a ginormous king.
I'm not actually sure of the size at this point,
but it will definitely be large enough
for my sister's king bed.

 


She loves these colors and fabrics
and is excited to get it.
I told her I might have it done by October!

 


It has been trimmed and the binding is being stitched
to the back now.
This is going to take a while!





The quilter did a beautiful job. 
I just wanted something simple and she nailed it.


It will be wonderful to finish this quilt and remove
it from my list.

It will be at your house soon, Rhonda!

Happy Quilting!

11 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it is a beautiful quilt - I can see why you didn't want to put it under your sewing machine - it would have been really hard to manipulate something that large - I tried a queen size with straight lines on my domestic and that was hard enough no way would I try free motion on something that large - that is why I have a large 3 roller hand quilting frame!!

Julie said...

Although these are not my colors, I LOVE this quilt! Your off center layout is wonderful. I would have been silly and tackled the quilting myself, mostly because of the lack of machine quilters in my area. Your quilter did a wonderful job and I am sure you will have the binding finished in no time!

Libby in TN said...

Absolutely stunning! I agree that a quilt that busy only needs simple quilting. So glad you didn't attempt it yourself; your shoulders and hands will thank you.

straythreads said...

Gorgeous absolutely gorgeous

Debbie said...

What a wonderful completion! Looks amazing and I know you don't regret not quilting it. Hooray! It is done.

chrisknits said...

It is beautiful! I am working on log cabin squares for a small wallhanging, I can't even imagine a huge king!!!

Panto Pam said...

Wow! This is absolutely beautiful! Your sister is going to LOVE this quilt! She is one lucky girl!!

Rebecca said...

Gorgeous quilt... I have a question. Dose it take more or less time now for reality to set in on a decision to have someone else do the heavy lifting / quilting on a project this size?
LOL
Beautiful work on all levels.

Vicki in MN said...

Rhonda is a very lucky gal to be receiving this gorgeous quilt. You did the right thing hiring this one out. I can't imagine anyone quilting this big of a quilt on their DSM! So did you use up your repro fabrics?

OPQuilt said...

Wonderful job on this, and smart move to have it quilted. King-sized quilts are just too big for those of us w/o stationary longarm machines, I think. I also like the lesson inherent in using up fabric that's not a favorite to yield something as beautiful as this quilt. Bravo and congratulations!!

Kim said...

Rhonda's Log Cabin quilt is a masterpiece, Ramona! Just look at all those glorious fabrics; they all look fabulous together. Excellent decision to send this pretty off to the quilter. Your shoulders and back will thank you for it.