I realized as I was sewing the Diamond in a Rectangle units together
into the borders for On Ringo Lake
that I rarely make quilts with this many pieces of fabric.
Especially big quilts.
I'm not a scrappy quilter for the most part,
so I don't usually have bits and pieces of
4,000 different fabrics lying around
while piecing a quilt.
(My Hidey Hole is going to need a huge
clean out after this.
Not all because of this quilt,
but all of the fabric bits not used are in piles
and have certainly added to the chaos.)
The first border is on the quilt
and I really like it....scrappy bazillion pieces and all.
The Diamond in a Rectangle pieces weren't used as sashing,
but I was not going to let those go to waste!
Instead, I used those as the inner border.
I saw the idea on line, but can't remember
where I first saw it. So sorry!
I paper pieced the corner blocks and made them scrappy as well.
This quilt is now ready for the outer border.
The aqua/turquoise fabrics are cut and ready to sew into the border strips.
Hopefully this top will be a finish in the next day or so!
I'm linking to Design Wall Monday today.