"Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says...."Oh crap! She's up!" Unknown

Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Camper Pillow and Quilt Top

Well, we bit the bullet and flew to California at the end of last week
to visit my daughter and son in law out there.
It had been way to long in between visits for us,
so we took our masks, hand sanitizer and Clorox wipes and 
flew out for a few days.
It was wonderful being together again.
We didn't go anywhere or do much,
but sat on their patio and enjoyed each others' company.

Before I left, I finished a couple of things.
One more thing was pulled from my never ending
cabinet of unfinished or not made projects.

I've had the pattern for this pillow for over a year
and have a friend who has a camper.
Out came the pattern, some fabric
and the pillow is finished.




It was fun choosing the fabrics for this camper.
The one mistake I made (and corrected it)
was to not back the white window with something
so the orange background wouldn't show through.
The window wasn't framed in the pattern,
but I cut the window out,
made a new one and sewed the frame around it to
hide the edges.

The backing has a zipper and isn't as bright as the photo shows.
The pillow has been delivered!
Another machine quilting project finished!




Last week my aunt, who lives in Michigan,
called and asked if I could make some quilts for
the police department in her small town.
The police chief asked for some child-size quilts
and adult quilts to keep in their squad cars.

I have the child size quilts made and made the top
of an adult size quilt before I left for California.




I've had 4 half yard cuts of this fun Shweshwe fabric
for several years and decided to use it for this quilt.

 


I pulled several fabrics to coordinate with the Shweshwe,
but the others (greens, oranges, white, etc.) were too
much of a contrast with the shweshwe.
I love the look of the turquoise, especially closer to the quilt top.

 


Sixteen patch blocks were made and then sewn into a top.

 

As I was sewing, prayers were said for the person
who will be wrapped in this quilt after whatever incident
they have that warranted a call to the police. 

It will be quilted and delivered this week.

Happy Quilting!
Be safe and be well.

10 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

how brave you were traveling! glad you had a good time and hope you will be well in the upcoming days and here I am in a state where the virus keeps going up in numbers every day here in the south.
Nice quilt

Sewing Up A Storm said...

Love your little RV pillow. I live part time in an RV so really love that kind of stuff. Sounds like your visit to California with family was great!

Sara said...

Good for you - taking a trip, and being able to do it safely. I'm sure that seeing the family was so good for your soul. The camper pillow is SO CUTE!!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I'm sure that visit was one you'll treasure; so good for heart and soul to reconnect with loved ones. I'm curious about flying currently: are the seats booked every-other- one, or how? I'm certain that right now with all the precautions and protocols that the insides of the cabin have never been cleaner! Your camper pillow is oh-so precious and the squad car quilts are such a kind and loving donation, I can only imagine the ripple effect of such an act of comfort! Bless you~

Libby in TN said...

So glad you took the chance to see your family. Sounds like your were suitably safe. We may venture our to see our family this summer. I'm thinking about replacing my minivan with a small RV so we don't have to stay in hotels. Your camper pillow is so cute!

Vicki in MN said...

Oh that is a super cute camper pillow!! I wondered if you were on a trip, you were quiet;) Brave of you to fly but I do understand at the same time. Was the flight full, did you have to wear a mask the whole time on the flight?

straythreads said...

That pillow is so cute but then that style of camper always is. Wonderful you were able to visit your daughter. The extent of our travel will be to our camper this summer and a fifth wheel camper just isn’t cute. I think it is going to be a long recovery for our nation.
Super cute pillow good luck with the footies I decreased 2 stitches in the ribbing on each side of the toe corners and each side of the heel.

Julie said...

How fun that you got to visit your daughter. I will be doing that later this summer. My sister will soon have two grandchildren living only 45 minutes from my daughter and the twins in Kentucky. We are taking a road trip and then flying home. The pillow is cute and I love the quilt. I wish I had more places to donate to locally. I had some quilts piled up for a camp and they canceled it. I guess I will save them until next year!

Needled Mom said...

So glad that you had such a lovely visit. Good thing you did it before they start filling up those planes again. Love your camper pillow. The recipients will too, I am sure. Your blue quilt is beautiful. What is it that makes such a simple design so elegant?

Preeti said...

I am looking at the super-cute camper and the turquoise quilt but my thoughts are focused on your trip. How was the flying experience? How was the movement through airports? Stay safe.