"Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says...."Oh crap! She's up!" Unknown

Monday, July 31, 2023

Veterans Hospital Quilts

 There is a quilt group in my area that makes and donates
quilts to our local Veterans Hospital.
They have sewing days once a month and a number of
the members choose to work on these quilts then.
I was told that last year they donated 120 quilts to the VA hospital.
 
120 Quilts!!!
 

This is not a huge group of people making these quilts.

One thing that makes it easier to receive so many quilts for donation
is that a few of the members will quilt the quilt tops at no charge.
The group purchases batting and backing, so all one has to do
is supply the top to them. It will be returned quilted and ready for binding.
 
I gave this batik top that I had made a while ago to a member of the 
group and it was quilted for me. I got it back, sewed the binding on
and am ready to return it to the group.
 
 
 


 
 
Since I am meeting this member to return the quilt,
why not have another one to give to be quilted?
 
I've had this French General jelly roll in my stash
for who knows how long,
so I thought it would make a nice quilt for a Veteran.
 
 

 
The only stipulation is that the quilt be 48x60",
so I added a row of 2 1/2" squares to the top and bottom to make it long enough.
 


 
 
This will be returned to me to be bound and maybe I'll have another
quilt ready for quilting.
 
Making quilts for our Veterans is a very small thank you for the
 sacrifices they make to all of us. 


Happy Quilting!

 
 

5 comments:

Sara said...

Both are very pretty and will really be appreciated by a veteran. Good design decision to add those squares to the top and bottom to meet the size requirement.

Vicki in MN said...

So very generous of all of you ladies to make and give. What beautiful quilts you have made.

time4stitchn said...

How wonderful to finish tops and use up some of your stash for a good cause. Lots of progress on your side of the fence. Thanks for checking up on me. Life is full of love and surprises.

straythreads said...

Both quilts are just beautiful bright cheery colors. I love the subtle red white and blue fabrics. I’m goofing off at the river again.

Vicki W said...

OMG, that new top is going to be a great veterans quilt too! We love the batik one and Brenda really enjoyed quilting it for you. We love quilting them!