"Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says...."Oh crap! She's up!" Unknown

Sunday, November 22, 2020

Ellie for Baby Girl

 My first grandchild will arrive at the end of the year
or into 2021 and she's a girl!
My daughter requested that I make an "Ellie" quilt
for Baby Girl's own quilt.
I made a quilt for the nursery, but she wanted one for
Baby Girl to have as her own.

Twist my arm!

I had made Ellie once before for a grand niece
and enjoyed the process.  I did learn some things
and made this one differently.

Shopping was necessary to get the color fabrics my
daughter requested.
Then the fun began.


Meet Ellie!



I did not use any fusible on Ellie,
but cut each piece from freezer paper and
machine appliqued them in place.



It was fun picking the fabrics for Ellie
and deciding what piece would be used where.






I hadn't planned on making the border like this,
but did not like the fabric I had for it.
This idea came to me and I love it!





Each section is quilted differently
and Ellie has a gray meander all over her.


 
 
 The backing fabric is Kaffe's Wisteria
(I think!).
 
 
While I was quilting the border areas,
I decided to quilt little messages into the quilt.
They are hardly noticeable,
but I know they are there
and are part of the whispered prayers said while
the quilting was being done.
 

 
 
JOY


BLESS


LOVE


All that is needed is the label,
which will be made after Baby Girl's arrival.
 
This will be wrapped and ready for delivery!
 
I'm linking to Design Wall Monday. 
Happy Quilting!

8 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

there is something so special of becoming a grandmother and the first one gets spoiled for sure - enjoy!

Libby in TN said...

So sweet! I don't think I have the patience to undertake one of those colorful appliques. I watched someone do a horse at retreat and knew that isn't for me!

Rebecca said...

Oh How Lovely...
Love the colors and the the way it all comes together.
I think on the label you should make note of the "hidden blessings" you quilted in so someday someone can look for them.

Sara said...

It's a wonderful quilt. Congratulations on that anticipated grandbaby!!

Rebecca Grace said...

Your Ellie quilt is beautiful, Ramona! You must all be getting SO excited! Maybe your granddaughter will arrive on my son's birthday, December 26th? I like to joke that he was a Christmas gift that was just EXTRA difficult to unwrap!

Julierose said...

You did a beautiful job on Ellie, Ramona!:))) Just gorgeous work. The colors are lovely...how exciting--[my Granddaughter's birthday is Jan 8th--maybe your 1st will be born on that day...]
Hugs from afar, julierose

straythreads said...

Beautiful looks be the colors and the prints. Bet the scraps would make pretty Christmas ornaments. Hope everyone is doing well

Kim said...

Baby Girl's quilt is gorgeous, Ramona. The fabrics you choose for Ellie the sweet elephant are astonishing in that every one is perfect where you have placed it. Each one compliments the other. Love those blue fabrics for the background and yes, the border is inspired. But it doesn't stop there does it, because you have then used Kaffe Fasset's sumptuous Wisteria fabric for the backing. I love that the background has different quilting patterns and those beautiful words, well, they evoke such love. This truly will be a much loved heirloom, of a grandmother's limitless love for her granddaughter.