"Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says...."Oh crap! She's up!" Unknown

Sunday, October 11, 2020

WAY Out of My Comfort Zone

 As a number of us have mentioned on our blogs
over the past few months,
the quilting mojo has disappeared
or at least faded quite a bit.

In trying to find out where mine has gone,
I've been reading different blogs and things on line.
One blog post I found talked about an on line course
this blogger took, taught by Isobel Moore.
The course is called "Swirls of Colour"
and I was hooked.
As soon as I could, I signed up for the course
and started collecting supplies.
 
I have never really done any mix media art before
and knew this was going to be a real challenge for me.
 
No precise seams,
no precise patterns, 
no precise plans. 

We just start and see where we are lead.

Well, I've finished my first piece.


This has not been trimmed yet
and will be placed behind a piece of mat... maybe!
 
 
I am not a painter and never have been,
so preparing the background was actually a bit of a challenge.
It's canvas with paper and then it's painted.
The paper can be anything and Isobel recommends scrap papers.
I used the papers from my Sunday church service.
 


Once the background is dry,
the sewing begins.
The most time consuming part was changing threads with
just about every strip of fabric.


 

I found some sari silk remnants,
cut thin strips of batiks,
used trims of various kinds,
pulled out some fun threads
and just played with everything.



My first mistake was having something planned in my head.
This looks nothing like what I had planned and,
at first, I was disappointed.
Then I looked at what I liked and what
I would do differently next time.
 
There will be a next time!
 
After making this 9" square piece,
I decided to make some smaller pieces that
could be Christmas ornaments.
 
 


I prepared some backgrounds with music
and painted it with reds and greens.



 
This is what I have so far.
Beads and sequins need to be added and then
these will be backed.
 
We shall see where this goes,
but I'm having fun!
 

Happy Creating!!

5 comments:

Libby in TN said...

Looks like you've caught the bug! I am terrible at improv; you should give me lessons.

Kathleen said...

I love your swirls. Using paper as the background is an interesting technique - a departure from straight cloth sewing, and scary. Sometimes we need to spread our wings to get the mojo going. I have trouble doing things without plans. Maybe if I experimented more?

Sara said...

Looks like fun! I have tried any art quilts myself, but always enjoy seeing them made by others. Some day I'll have to dip in.

Vicki in MN said...

You jumped out of the box and it looks like you had a blast. Very different from quilting but still very interesting.

Needled Mom said...

How fun! The results are beautiful too. I’ll be looking forward to your new pieces.