"Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says...."Oh crap! She's up!" Unknown

Thursday, March 10, 2022

Fun With Bits and Pieces

 As I have been making the blocks for my
"Lucky Stars" quilt,
I have been saving the triangles cut from the stars.
There was no way I was going to make tiny HST's
with these bits and pieces,
but I couldn't throw them away.

Then the other day I was thinking about a
"Sew Together" bag I want to make for a gift
and got an idea.

What if I stitched all of these little triangles to a background
and used them for the outside of the bag?

Out came a glue stick, some batting and a piece of ugly fabric.

Here is what I have....




First I randomly glued these background triangles to the ugly fabric.





Then I randomly glued the batik triangles on top of the
background pieces.
I just used a little swipe of a glue stick...
just enough to hold the triangle in place.
 


 
 
After I made a quilt sandwich with another piece of ugly fabric and batting
I pulled out a bunch of different color threads
and started stitching straight lines.
I only marked the first line and then
the rest were organic.
Doesn't this look like tissue paper modge podged to something?
I love how the triangles became a little mis-shapened while sewing them down.




I had more than enough triangles to make two outside pieces
for the bag with some pieces left over!




The fun part is done!
Soon I will begin working on these bags
and am excited to see how they look when finished.

Mindless sewing is the best some days!


Happy Quilting!

16 comments:

Vicki in MN said...

Well darn it, why didn't you do this 2 weeks ago, I could have used this idea instead of throwing my bits out in the garbage!!!! It is a great idea!

Debbie said...

You are so smart!!! Very fun. Can't wait to see the bag!

Sara said...

Wow! I love this idea. The Sew Together is my favorite bag to make. I've made 16 or 17 of them now, and have the parts kitted up for a couple more. Now you've given me ideas for others.

Annie said...

Well, first I thought, “that is NOT ugly fabric”...until I read that you used the cute fabric to cover the ugly fabric. Ha! This is a fun way to make a fun fabric for the outside of that great bag. I love how colorful it is. This gives me an idea to use up some color thread on bobbins that I feel like I won’t use again for a long time. Instead of unwinding it and tossing it (because I need an empty bobbin), it might make a fun background for a postcard or something. Great inspiration, Ramona!

Libby in TN said...

I'm like Annie -- that background is not ugly! But now I understand. Fun and creative way to use your scraps.

straythreads said...

What fun. Now I’m regretting tossing that last bag of tiny scraps. And the song from the 60 s bits and pieces is stuck in my head

Rebecca Grace said...

Oh my goodness -- even your tiniest scraps have been turned into treasure!

Carly Nord said...

Too much fun!! It’s going to be a great sew together bag.

Needled Mom said...

I love these, Ramona. It’ll be a great Sew Together bag.

kupton52 said...

I am soooo impressed with your creativity! These will truly make a great bag...what a wonderful idea!

Sandy said...

So creative, so colorful. Good for you for using up your bits and draps!! Anxious to see the end project.

Debbie said...

Wow! What a wonderful creation! Love the bright colors and the geometric shapes. I love how you used an UGLY fabric to make something so beautiful. The quilting really makes it! Can't wait to see the final project.

Preeti said...

I love it, Ramona. On second thoughts, oh no... now I know what I can do with all the colorful triangles leftover from all the binding strips. YIKES!!!

Sandy said...

Making blog rounds, so thought I'd pop in to say hi, hope all is well.

Sandy said...

Making blog rounds again, so waving hello. Hope to hear from you soon.

Nann said...

Bright, cheerful, thrifty -- such a cool idea!