"Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says...."Oh crap! She's up!" Unknown

Friday, February 18, 2022

Dragonfly Baby Quilt

 With the arrival of 2022, my quilting mojo really returned.
It feels so good to be clearing out piles of quilt parts and kits.

The latest finished top was a pile of parts I had made
for another baby quilt last year.
For some reason I went to town cutting and sewing the various
pieces and parts and had a lot left over.
Maybe I was going to make the original quilt larger?
Who knows?!?!?
What I do know is another pile is gone and another top
is finished!!



Here is the original quilt.
It's a Robin Pickens Pattern
called Emilia.
 
I loved making this quilt for my grand niece
and then made it again as a Christmas tree skirt for
my niece and her husband.
 
My first thought was to make another quilt just like this one,
but as I was sewing parts together,
other thoughts came into my head.
 
 I sewed the large triangles together with the small ones
and started playing with these blocks.



I like this layout with the pinwheels, but kept moving the blocks around.

 


This layout was fun, too, but I kept playing.



Then I landed on this one.
This is it! 
Now what to do for borders?
At first I was going to use the lime green and 
turquoise I had used in the original quilt,
but they seemed too harsh for this one.
I had a number of HST's leftover and
started to play with those in the border.
 
 
 

Here is the finished top!
It was fun to just play and move parts around
on my design wall.
 
There are several babies coming this year,
so this will get quilted and set aside for one of them.
 
Happy Quilting!

 
 

11 comments:

Kim said...

Goodness, there seems to be a lot of little babies always in your world. You have had fun playing. Love the design you finished upon.

Libby in TN said...

Another beauty! I especially like your border treatment.

Needled Mom said...

It’s so fun to see all of the different options. I love the one you chose. Those fabrics are just beautiful.

Sara said...

Just as pretty as the original quilt. It was fun to watch your thinking and designing process with the parts you had.

Julierose said...

A nice variation on that first beautiful quilt!! Lovely fabric choices...nice works
hugs, Julierose

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I like your new version and that border treatment is great.

straythreads said...

You nailed it with YOUR design! Isn’t it fun to try ALL the possibilities. Well done beautiful

Annie said...

I love how your quilt turned out! How fun I bet it was to play with the design ideas. I like them all. What a great border design to finish it all off. The colors are terrific too. All your design options are so inspiring!

Vicki in MN said...

I love how you handled the borders!

Sandy said...

LOVE!!! Oh my, those colors and the patterns in the quilt are yummy. Playing with the blocks is fun. Blue-Green is a favorite color combination of mine anyway, but all your pieces parts are stunning. Congrats on so many babies coming this year. You'll be ready for sure with a keepsake for them.

Vicki W said...

I absolutely love this! It's going to be a wonderful baby quilt.