"Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says...."Oh crap! She's up!" Unknown

Monday, August 20, 2018

Paper Piecing

Paper piecing is not something I am drawn to.
In fact, if I see that a pattern is paper pieced,
I stop looking at it.
For some reason, I ended up with this kit that is made of
paper pieced stars.
I know I got it on a big sale a long time ago
and maybe bought it for the fabric.
I don't remember.

Anyway, the other day I decided it was going to get made.
The patterns were copied
and the fabric was cut.



This is what the pattern looks like.
It will make four star placemats,
but I'm going to make something else.
Once the stars are finished, I'll decide if it's going to be
a wall hanging or a baby quilt.




The colors of the fabrics are bright and fun. 

One thing I don't like about paper piecing
is trying to get the fabric lined up to stitch the next piece in place.
Either I haven't left enough for the seam
or I have too much and the fabric won't cover the space.

Now I have this....



I found this light pad at a quilt show a while ago and
hadn't had a reason to use it yet.
It's very thin and lightweight, with LED lighting.
You can get a glass mat, a self-healing cutting mat and
a regular mat to go over the box, so you can work right on it.
This makes placing the next fabric piece so much easier!
(No affiliation at all.)




The sewing and trimming has begun.
It's a slow process,
but I'm listening to an audio book while I sew.
(I just started doing this about a month ago.
Why did it take me so long??!!)

 

This is what I've done so far.
I really like the precision of paper piecing,
but I don't like the messy look during the process.
It does make me slow down,
which isn't a bad thing.

Hopefully these stars will be done soon
and I will have decided what to make with them.

I'm linking to Design Wall Monday today.


Happy Quilting!

8 comments:

Vicki in MN said...

This is going to be a beauty!

Karen said...

I am not a fan of paper piecing either but this design looks do-able and oh so interesting.

Needled Mom said...

That is going to be a great star. The colors are so fun. I love paper piecing for the accuracy. I am amazed that such a messy sewing project can end up so beautifully. It's a lot like cleaning a dirty oven - there is such satisfaction when it comes out so clean and neat. lol

Preeti said...

It looks like you are off to a fabulous start. I am so looking forward to this one.
Audiobooks are the bomb. Check the app Overdrive - it lets you borrow audiobooks from your local library without setting foot in one. All for free.

Julie said...

What a great design. I LOVE paper piecing, but it is messy for sure! I look forward to seeing what you decide to finish the blocks in to.

Churn Dash said...

Wow those are small slivers of fabric. When I saw the first picture I thought it was going to be about 60" across. I can see why it would be done by paper piecing.

I look forward to seeing what the stars become.

Helen

Brit Schjelderup said...

Love those stars! Not sure if this makes sence, but If you flip the paper along the next seamline, the shape of the next piece should be visible through the paper. As long as this shape covers the next piece of fabric when you lay it down, you will get a good result (much easier to show than try to describe in words). Good luck with the sewing, I’m looking forward to seeing the end result!

time4stitchn said...

Great project! And I think the solid colors really make it show up so well. ( Funny how we buy projects on sale then they sit for a while. I do it, too.) Love the finished project. And the light box is a great solution. I was just doing paper piecing for a Stash bee block and had the same problem.