"Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says...."Oh crap! She's up!" Unknown

Monday, October 13, 2014

Disappearing Act

I've been gone, but I am back!

For the first time in a long time...
maybe since Blogging,
I have nothing new to show today!

Last Wednesday I took the train to visit my
Sister-in-law in Montclair, NJ.
She invited me up to see a quilt exhibit at the 
Montclair Art Museum.

The quilter is Yvonne Wells and she is from Alabama....
Quite an interesting exhibit!
We went to a lecture given by Ms. Wells and an
art professor, Dr. Nell Painter.
Learning about Ms. Wells quilting path was also very interesting...

Ms. Wells has never had a sewing lesson or quilting lesson,
and only quilts from the heart
so her quilting is "right" or "perfect."

If you are in the area, it would be worth going to the
Montclair Art Museum to view the quilts on display.
Fourteen quilts are Ms. Wells' and the rest of the quilts in the
exhibit were made by  other women from Alabama.

 Yvonne Wells, "Rosa Parks I," cotton, polyester and plastic buttons, 2005

Rosa Parks 1
Image taken from here.


https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjGg4lo0Ktfm87nNm1zeflh1EVxf5nT5NbZ3q4iYZ2mNk5zzkNcWnnnWVbvuG0gdauuQHAPwvOVIaWmS3BoVX4ckFM-Rqnipd_ZD8rEmAajCF_ZtKzs5LOiO1n94jIZiqATQFu9jRosuoA/s640/blogger-image-1442646147.jpg
Image taken from

This is Ms. Wells self portrait.

She uses fabric and embellishments that she finds or has been given.
When she is making her quilts, she just begins cutting her pieces...
no drawing, no patterns, just cuts. 
If only I could cut loose just a little!




I will have something new to show soon!

Happy Quilting everyone! 

No comments: