It has been a very long time since I have done any applique.
I used to do a fair amount of it and really enjoyed it,
but for some reason I got out of doing it.
A while ago I found two patterns that I really liked
and decided to combine them and put them on one quilt
to be used as a wall hanging.
I have been a needle turn applique person in the past,
but decided to try the starch method this time.
I have to say that I'm not a huge fan of this method.
Some of the pieces needed to be redone because I couldn't
get smooth turns on them.
I was also surprised at how much rust needed to be knocked
off of my stitching!
It took a while to get back into the groove.
the top is finished and ready for trimming.
This has not been trimmed or pressed yet,
but the applique stitching is finished.
There are a few spots that I'm not thrilled with,
but over all I'm pretty pleased with the results.
Most of the fabrics I used are batiks,
which I prefer for applique.
They don't fray!
Hopefully the quilting will add some more detail
and will go quickly.
In making this little wall hanging (it will be 24" square when finished)
I realized that I have missed applique.
Now I need to find another project to do.
A while ago I bought a Cricut machine and have had fun
playing with it. There is a pretty big learning curve
for me with this, but I have a dear friend who is
the Cricut whiz!
This past week I finished up some Christmas gifts!
Four of these cute trays were made and put away
(This design can be found on Cricut Access.)
Today I'm linking to Design Wall Monday.