"Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says...."Oh crap! She's up!" Unknown

Monday, May 30, 2016

Holly Christmas Tree Skirt

For those who have read my blog for a while,
you may remember that my
"Signature Wedding Gift"
is a quilted Christmas tree skirt....
when appropriate, of course!


My daughter's best friend is getting married
at the end of June,
so a tree skirt is needed.




I had a jelly roll of Christmas fabrics,
so ordered a roll of "Snow"
and made some Log Cabin blocks.

After finding a layout that was pleasing to my eye,
I sewed the blocks into a big square.

 I knew it would need something in all of the white space,
so I got my new book out,
written by my bloggie friend, 
Lara Buccella at BuzzinBumble
and appliqued some holly leaves in the white space,
using Lara's applique technique.
 Lara's technique is so easy and worked so well
on my tree skirt.
I HIGHLY recommend her new book!




The white corners were trimmed on the diagonal
and the quilting was done.


Ta-Da!

 All this needs is a Christmas Tree!


This line of Christmas fabrics is 
gorgeous... traditional with some metallic gold going through it.
(It's Robert Kaufman's "Holiday Flourish.")



The label is on it and it's ready for wrapping.
(I'll let my daughter do the wrapping!)


Christmas will be here before we know it!
YIKES!!

I'm linking up to Patchwork Times today.
Go visit to see what others are creating.


Happy Quilting!

13 comments:

Libby in TN said...

Another beauty, Ramona! I'm planning to order Lara's book. Glad to hear a testimonial.

Teresa in Music City said...

I've been following you for a while now Ramona and can't believe I've missed the fact that you gift tree skirts as wedding gifts ... What a great idea!!! Love this tree skirt with the cabin blocks and applique - it's perfect! My copy of Lara's book is in the mail - I can't wait for it to get here!!!

Needled Mom said...

As I've said before, I LOVE this tradition. Your skirt is just gorgeous in those fabrics and with the addition of the holly leaves. It will be a treasured gift.

Karen said...

A unique wedding gift. So pretty.

Kat Scribner said...

It's gorgeous!

AnnieO said...

Beautiful! Making one as a wedding gift is a unique idea.

Julie said...

The tree skirt is fabulous and I know you had mentioned that before. I love that idea instead of the queen size quilt thing that I am trying to do! You are getting so many projects finished!

Barb in Mi said...

Yes, it's fabulous! You are onto something with the xmas skirt present!

canuckquilter said...

I love the holly with the log cabin blocks. It's a very striking combination. I have a project planned with Lara's book too. I just need to squeeze some time in.

Lara B. said...

This is the most wonderful idea for a wedding gift! I don't know how I missed that you make these as a tradition. It's gorgeous Ramona and will be loved and used - something you cannot say for all wedding gifts. I love that you added the holly leaves! :) A very lovely touch!

Vicki in MN said...

Adding the holly leaves was brilliant, really sets it off. I bought the FQ of that line and have made a few runners with it. Pretty!

kupton52 said...

How lovely! And how thoughtul....getting ready for a first Christmas together as newlyweds is one of my favorite (44 year old) memories. I must confess I have never made a tree skirt....is the binding continuous or did you bind the circle cutout first then the straight lines? I had hoped to win Lara's book...but that won't keep me from ordering it! Each pattern I've seen from it is delightful. Blessings....

phxquilt said...

Lovely wedding gift!